This project is a totally black and white one—done with the great selection of papers from The Robin's Nest. I started with a chipboard album from Want2Scrap. I covered each of the pages with a different—all keeping with the monochromatic theme.
After testing several adhesives, I discovered that the easiest way to adhere the papers was to use double faced tape. I covered the page with strips of 2" tape and laid the page, tape side down, onto the back side of the paper. Next, it was easy to use a craft knife to cut away the excess. Even the filigree cutouts on two of the pages were easily accomplished using this method. I found that liquid adhesives were difficult to manage, warped the chipboard, and took too long to dry. Waiting is not my strong suit—so waiting for adhesive to dry was not for me.
After all the pages were covered, I inked all the edges with a Pitch Black Adirondack acrylic paint dabber. Inking the edges gives the book a nice finished look. Then the fun began—embellishing the pages.
One the inside front cover I added a three dimensional butterfly.
On the next page I used three groups of Obsidian diamond shaped Dew Drops. I wanted the dew drops to draw attention to the headlines in the newsprint.
The 3D flowers on the next page where cut on the Zing, my electronic digital cutting machine. They are rolled from the outside to the inside and held in place with a Zot glue dot. I also used glue dots to adhere them to the page.
On the zebra print page I fussy cut around the swirls on the Glitter Black & White Border Swirl paper and used a tape runner to adhere the straight edges, forming a pocket.
On the next page, again I used my Zing to cut a scalloped half oval. This, too, was adhered only along the straight side to form a pocket. You can see I added a couple fun shaped paper clips, too.
On page 7 I added the dragonflies from a Robin's Nest rub-on set and teardrop shaped black Dew Drop from the Piano collection.
Pages 8 and 9 face each other. I like the positive/negative look these two papers give. On Page 8 I added two chipboard birds that I colored silver metallic. They sit on glue dots to give dimension. Page 9 is highlighted with strategically placed silver dew drops from the Fairy Dust collection.
I tackled the cover last. The flower was made using Robin's Nest white flowers. I misted the petals with Perfect Pearls Mist and used the Adirondack dabber to add black highlights. I formed the petals of the silver center around a pencil so they gently curve toward the center of the flower. I pierced all the flower layers with a Crop-a-dile and held them together with a black velvet brad. The dragonfly was a thrift shop find that I spray painted silver. Both the dragonfly and the flower are held in place with Zots glue dots.
The last step was adding ribbons to the rings. I used 7 to 8 inch lengths of black organza, black grosgrain, silver satin, and narrow white satin ribbons.
Here's the list of Robin's Nest papers that I used: Glitter B&W Border Swirl, Glitter B&W Fleur-de-li, Glitter Daisy Strip, Glitter Silver on Black, Silver Paisley on Black, Black Glitter Cardstock, B&W Animal Print, Glitter B&W Paisley, Glitter B&W Swirl, and Classified Cardstock.
This is going to be a gift and I know the recipient will have fun making the album theirs when they add their own pictures.
You can see more of my projects on my Create & Craft blog.