Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day Utensil Caddy

Bonjour!

Aimée here for the last post of my Robin's Nest DT projects. I want to thank the entire RN crew and artists for allowing my to play with you all for the last 6 months. I really enjoyed my time with you all. Thanks for the opportunity and I look forward to seeing all the new DT's work!

This month we are using the FABULOUS "Paris Collection". It's 20% off in the store this month with code June20!

I wasn't sure what I was going to alter this month until my hubby brought home some Sonic milkshakes the other night!

BAM! I had the idea to turn this drink caddy into a Father's Day utensil caddy. We're having a big Father's Day BBQ and pool party at my house today. This will be out on the table for everyone to see and use!

Boring cardboard here!

I started by choosing a close acrylic color to match the paper in the collection. I used Design Cyan by Derivan Matisse.


I decided to only paint the top and middle divider on both sides.


Next I traced the shape of the cardboard onto the paper and then cut it out with an x-acto knife.


I used the striped side of the Daisy Teal cardstock.


I used the trusty Elmers Glue All to attach it. It's been so hot and humid here though it took forever to dry and I had to weigh down the box onto the paper to get it to stick well. Next time I'll use a drier glue.


I continued tracing the papers for all 4 sides and gluing them down the same. This paper is called Awning Spa Glitter Cardstock.


Once the paper was dry I started to embellish with stickers that are on the Paris Sticker Sheet.


I remembered I had some Tazo tea tins and decided to see if they fit and they did! To fill the gap between both sides of the caddy I folded the Blue Robin Glittered Cardstock.


Next I took some of the chipboard pieces I had and decided to color them with chalk ink. I also added a flower and some dew drops in gold and teal using a hot glue gun.


Next I started embellishing the top near the handle using the same items.


ooh la la! The fleur de lis is also chipboard.


Next I ripped up some of the back side of the Blue Robin paper and antiqued it with brown chalk ink.


Next I added "happy Father's Day!' with teeny tiny stickers I had. I then adhered this to the caddy with a 3D foam double-sided dot.


The cool thing is that this can always be reused for a different event, just peel off the piece and make a new one as long as it stays clean!


I also embellished the back side a bit, well until my hot glue ran out.


I decided to stuff the back side with some teal/white tissue paper.


Isn't it cute?? All it needed was utensils!


I decided the painted part on top looked to flat so I added some of the white chalk ink to distress it a bit.


Looks more like denim now.


So purdy!


I hope you all enjoyed this little project and that you'll rethink throwing out that drink caddy next time you get fast food! I had fun making this project!

Be sure to head on over to the Robin's Nest and check out this month's collection! Hope you have a wonderful Father's Day as well!! Love on Dad!

Merci & Au Revoir!

















11 comments:

Robin O'Crowley said...

What a great idea! I need one for this summer!

Bev said...

amazing summer project.. so cool and could be decorated with any theme..

Lee Brehon said...

This is great, I need to make one also.

Aimée Wheaton said...

Thanks guys!

Tonya said...

Love how you altered the drink carrier into something useful! Awesome job!!!

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Great project!! Love the whole thing! I lovvve working with you!! Thanks!

Aimée Wheaton said...

Thank you :)

Penny Lee said...

Such a fantastic idea...love it!

Lastochka said...

I love your idea!!

Steph said...

This is wonderful. Great caddy.

Cely said...

omigosh, awesome upcycle!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...